Kids love hands on learning. So much so that studies say that hands-on is equal to minds-on. So if you want your kids to get excited about learning it is important to get them involved in the the learning process. In Fort Walton Beach, the Emerald Coast Science Center is a great place for kids to have a hands-on interactive learning experience. They will have so much fun that it won’t even feel like learning. Admission Admission prices are very reasonable. The cost for kids is $7 and adult admission is $9. However, they also have special discounts for military and residents of Okaloosa County. For military you will receive a 10% discount on everything and residents will receive a dollar off. They also offer group rates for groups of 15 or more. Please note that if you have a group of 20 or more you must confirm a date with the museum. Our Favorite Exhibits The museum offers nearly 50 hands-on science related activities. However, each is part of an exhibit. Here are our favorites:
- Color and Light offers everything about the colors we can and cannot see and how light plays into the way we see color. There are many activities in this exhibit all dealing with color and light. You can see how angles of light affect the way you see things, look through a periscope, learn about lightning, and much more.
- Fun Physics teaches kids about matter and the Law of the Conservation of Momentum. Our all time favorite is the air cannon. The kids get such a kick out of it. The cannon sends a wave of compressed air from one location to another resulting in a gust of air in their faces and some crazy hair afterwards.
- Planetarium Nights are the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month. There are shows at 5, 6, and 7 p.m., with each show lasting approximately 45 minutes. The cost is $9 for adults and $7 for children. It is recommended to book tickets ahead of time, as space is limited.
- Robotics Workshops happen the first Saturday of the month, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. This four hour session is recommended for ages 9-14. These sessions cover a variety of robotic skills to help them compete in the Lego League. These workshops are limited to 10 children , so you will want to sign up in advance. The cost is $40 for non-members and $35 for members.
- For the adults there is an event called My Chemical Cocktail Party. This is an event where bartenders and mixologists will be showcasing the chemistry behind some of their best cocktails. There will be a vote for the most scientific cocktail. All proceeds will go to the Emerald Coast Science Center. The cost for tickets are $30 for members and $35 for non-members. It is recommended that you purchase your tickets in advance.