In my opinion, Okaloosa Island is the #1 place to visit while in Fort Walton Beach. It’s easy to see why. With so much to do and see, Okaloosa Island is truly the gem of Fort Walton Beach. To begin with, it’s magical because it’s a barrier island off the Emerald Coast. The island’s turquoise waters and pure white sands make it truly unique. Okaloosa Island is a family-friendly destination with plenty of things to discover, including:
- The Beach. Need we say more? Like we said earlier, Okaloosa Island beaches are a part of the beautiful Emerald Coast. If you have never experienced this part of the coast, you are missing out.
- The Boardwalk. Shop, dine, and play. Spend your day playing, and come back for some shopping and dinner later on. The Boardwalk is a popular destination for families and the perfect place to make memories.
- The Pier. Calling all anglers and those who just want to enjoy the views – the pier is a fun place to fish and enjoy the beach. The pier offers a day pass at a reasonable price for anglers and visitors. You can also rent rods and reels. If you catch something and have a good story, be sure to share it on their blog!
- Miracle Strip Parkway. This is the main thruway from the mainland through the island. Off this main road, you can find shopping, dining and family attractions.
- Awesome Eats. Since there are so many great places, we will just name a few of our favorites. For a quick bite on the beach, we recommend Al’s Beach Club and Burger Bar. If you need a good seafood fix we love Floyd’s Shrimp House and The Crab Shack. If you can’t decide which to try, just try both (you’re on vacation, so why not?). For a quick cool down, try Pino Gelato. You will not be disappointed by their deliciously authentic Italian gelato.
- Family-Friendly Accommodations. Okaloosa Island is known for being family friendly. Therefore, they have some of the best family-friendly accommodations. I may be a little biased, but The Breakers is the perfect family vacation destination. How can you beat gulf-front views of Okaloosa Island? Don’t take our word for it. Our reviews speak for themselves!